Sunday, June 10, 2007

I know, I know! It's been a long time, but life has been happening. The new puppy is a sweetie, but housebreaking is a bitch--no ifs, ands, ors about it. I am not, however, going to make this blog about the puppy solely. No, indeed! I have a topic that I wish to discuss. Earlier this week, I saw Oceans 13. As I settle in to watch the glorious mugs of Clooney and Pitt, the previews begin. Out of the five or six trailers played, no less than THREE of them possessed plot lines that dealt with terrorist plots, conspiracies (with Arab-like villains), and post-apocalyptic visions. Clearly, the film industry is fixated on playing on our post-9/11 fears. This is nothing new, nor anything unexpected. But I am exhausted by it. Yes, I know the world contains people who want to cause death and mayhem. Yes, I believe there are power brokers who control the way our democracy runs. Yes, I believe the world contains evil undreamt of in my present philosophy. And those of you who know me well know that I am not exactly a Pollyanna, nor do I wish to be. But I'm ready for films about other concerns--things with scope and vision and the warmth of basic humanity unsullied by hate. I'm tired of this constant fear mongering. And yet, and yet, sadly, I will see most of these movies because they look appealing in the same way as a roller coaster appeals to the kid in all of us. I want to go on record that I am a hypocrite.

No comments: