Sunday, April 8, 2007

Day Five: The Last Day

Today marks the last official day of spring break. Because it was Easter, this was not a particularly restful day--Mass, then a family dinner, then the drive home, and then some laundry. And now I'm thinking about what I have to do tomorrow. It will be part planned and part winging it. I refuse to stress! It is a moment like this--filled with a quiet inevitability--that I often ask myself the question:

What one job/occupation would you not dread going back to on a Monday?

As for me, I'd have to say that it would be an editing, technical writing type of position or as a docent at a museum or historical site. There are definitely days when I would love to be doing something where I see no one all day. That's when a small, cozy cubicle seems like a wonderful option. I'm sure I wouldn't want to spend my entire working life there, but there are those days. And I'm sure you all know what I mean. And then there are those days when you feel like you're in a vacuum--like when you set up a blog and several of your close friends do not comment on the posted questions! Argh!

2 comments:

SteveZeGreat said...

I forgot my password for Socrates already. Oops.

OK, I'll play along. My reply would be that I'd like to organize something. I don't care what. I just like putting lots of bits of info together into something big -- can be mindless stuff I do while I watch TV or something really engaging that takes my whole brain. That I wouldn't dread.

And I don't even dread going back tomorrow. It's a different world when it ends at 3:30 instead of 6 and when I am purposefully leaving empty-handed.

Simply O said...

I understand you completely! However, I have discovered the equivalent of hell! A computer program consultant on a telephone service line. I spent one hour on the phone with a Symantec rep working out my firewall problems. That doesn't count the hour I was on hold waiting for someone in Calcutta to pick up. (sigh)