Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Day Three: Spring Break Hits Hump Day!

This does not make me happy. It's hump day for everyone else; but for those of us on spring break, it signals the mid-point of precious days off. (Sigh!) Much needed days, I might add. And these days provide a taste of the summer to come. I do want to go on record here that summer break is the only major perk for being a teacher, so get over your vacation envy! In consideration of the coming respite in question, here is today's topic:

What was your favorite thing to do over summer breaks when you were a kid?

I have to say that my favorite thing was the time to read whatever would fall into my hands. Living in rural Kentucky, I was lucky to have the Book Mobile--a blue and white boxy van that was a rolling library sent forth by the public library to service those of us who didn't make it into town regularly. It smelled of heat and dust and books. That smell is still as vivid to me today as it was all those years ago. Somewhere in my brain cells, I recall an author describing the smell of books as peppery. I can testify to that. I would check out nearly a dozen books which I had two weeks to devour. Since we didn't have air conditioning and the house would become suffocatingly hot, I would pack up a few books and head out to the woods where--if necessary--I could take a splash in the spring or the creek. What I lived for was when my father would have to take a trip into town, and I could go along. While he completed various errands on Main Street, I would run to the actual library and scout out other books in air-conditioned comfort. I was well known by the entire library staff which meant that books would be put aside for me from time to time. It was sort of like having a bar keep know what you drink when you walked into the establishment. Yes.....my summers were that boring! No wonder I couldn't wait to get back to school. How time reverses things!

No comments: